Wednesday, September 8, 2010

4 killed, dozens injured in police firing in Kashmir

Inquiry ordered, ammunition of cops being checked to fix responsibility: Police

Pattan (Baramulla), Sept 06: At least four persons including three youth were killed and over a dozen injured when personnel of Special Operations Group of police resorted to “unprovoked” firing in Palhallan area of North Kashmir’s Baramulla district on Monday taking the toll of civilian deaths in the valley since June 11 to 69.
According to eyewitnesses, around 2 pm when life resumed to normal and market was abuzz with activity following the afternoon relaxation in Hurriyat (G) strike calendar, a patrolling party of SOG in Rakshak vehicles reached Palhallan Main Chowk and resorted to indiscriminate teargas shelling followed by heavy firing.

The police action created panic in the area and people ran helter-skelter. Eyewitnesses said cops fired directly at people who were running for their lives. Feroz Ahmad Malik, 16, of Palhallan received bullet injury in the abdomen. He was brought dead to Sub District Hospital (SDH) Pattan.

Eyewitnesses said Malik was cutting logs when he was shot. They said the cops later barged into residential areas in their vehicles, continuing with teargas shelling and firing. They said the cops beat people and broke window panes of their houses. Infuriated by the action, hundreds of people came out of their houses and chased the cops hurling bricks and stones at them.

Shouting anti-India and pro-freedom slogans, the protesters blocked Srinagar-Muzaffarabad highway and demanded action against the cops responsible for the killing of the civilians. To quell the protests, cops again fired directly at people injuring over a dozen of them.

Three of the critically injured persons succumbed to injuries on way to hospital. They have been identified as Mudasir Ahmad Mir, 23, son of Muhammad Abdullah Mir of Ussan, Pattan; Noorudin Tantary, 26, son of Ghulam Nabi Tantry of Tantrypora, Palhallan and Muhamamd Ramzan Mir, 45, son of Muhammad Sultan Mir of Ussan, Pattan.

People again staged protests and blocked vehicular movement seeking action against the culprit cops. Meanwhile, thousands of people joined the Nimaz-e-Jinaza (funeral prayers) of the slain persons before they were laid to rest amid pro-freedom and anti-India slogans late evening.

‘Cops stopped ambulances’

Residents of the area alleged that troops had blocked Srinagar-Muzaffarabad highway and stopped ambulances carrying injured persons for treatment forcing them to take an alternate but longer route.

This, the locals said, forced them to take the injured persons to Sumbal Sub District Hospital through link roads with longer distance to cover. They said while on way to the hospital the injured persons suffered heavy blood loss eventually leading to their death.

Meanwhile, Medical Superintendent SKIMS-Soura, Syed Amin Tabish said one of the slain youth Noor Din, who had received firearm injuries on his both thighs, was brought dead to the hospital. He said another youth, Muhammad Ashraf, 35, who had received fire arm injury in his neck, is being operated upon.
(News Source: Rising Kashmir)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.